"Perhaps we tend to think of the law of tithing as a temporal commandment only and to see it from a material perspective. We would be shortsighted and ungrateful if we failed to see and acknowledge the great spiritual blessings that result from obedience to this divine law. When we are obedient, the windows of heaven are opened not just to pour out blessings of earthly abundance, but also to pour out blessings of spiritual abundance--blessings of infinite and eternal worth.
"President Hinckley has declared that the blessings from paying tithing "may not be always in the form of financial or material benefit." He explained that "there are many ways in which the Lord can bless us beyond the riches of the world. There is the great boon of health. The Lord has promised that he will rebuke the devourer for our sakes. Malachi speaks of the fruits of our ground. May not that rebuke of the devourer apply to various of our personal efforts and concerns?"
Joseph B. Wirthlin, Oct. 1995 General Conference, "Windows of Light and Truth"
“There is much of poverty in
this land. I do not know how it can be cured without the aid of a
power, and it is my testimony that the answer to the problems of Guatemala and the poverty of her people
lies in the revealed word of the Lord: Tithing. If there is anyone here today who is not paying his or her
tithing, I challenge you to deal with the Lord and earn His blessings. You may feel you cannot afford it. He
has made the promise, and His is the power to keep that promise, and it is my testimony that He does keep that promise."
President Gordon B. Hinckley, Jan. 26,
Guatemala City North and South Regional Conference
Promises for Paying Tithing
Lord's Promise To You What you must do Reference 1. There is the great boon of health.
2. The Lord shall rebuke the devourer for our sakes.
3. Will bless the fruits of our ground.
4. Blessings of earthly abundance.
5. Blessings of spiritual abundance --blessings of infinite and eternal worth.
6. Great spiritual blessings.
Live the Law of Tithing Joseph B. Wirthlin
"Windows of Light and Truth"
Oct. 1995 General Conference
(quoting Pres. Hinckley & Malachi)
7. Cure for Poverty
Pay Tithing President Gordon B. Hinckley
January 26, 2997
Guatemala City North and South
9. "Do you have financial problems? Do you worry about money? Of course you do. Pay your tithing. That doesn't mean you will all get rich...But you will have enough to be happy." Pay your Tithing President Gordon B. Hinckley, May 1996 Ensign, p. 107. Regional Conference, Plano, Texas.